Thursday, March 3, 2011

Day Thirty-Four: 1 Corinthians 13-16

I’ve read 1 Corinthians 15 many, many times.  And yet today it broke me and spoke to me in a fresh way.
Paul is addressing the false teaching that the resurrection has already happened.  Remember, the Corinthians were pursuing a hyper-spirituality, and were saying, “we have already attained perfection, we don’t need to wait for some future resurrection.”  As he answers their objections, he begins to give us a glimpse of what it will be like to have a resurrected body.  
He says, the difference between a seed that goes into the ground and the living plant that comes out of the ground is like the difference between your body when it goes into the ground and the living body that will come out: 
“What you put in the ground is not the plant that will grow, but only a bare seed of wheat or whatever you are planting... Our earthly bodies are planted in the ground when we die, but they will be raised to live forever.” (15.37,42)
This thought just washed over me as I read:  
One day, they’ll put me in a box and put that box in the ground.  
But if Jesus is true, then it will not be the end.  I am planted like a seed, and one day, after the winter, spring will come and I will rise.
Just like the flowers rise out of the ground, exploding open to greet the rising sun, one day he will call my name and I will rise.  
How would I live differently if I woke up each morning and remembered two things: 1) one day I’ll die.  2) one day I’ll rise. 
It changes your perspective on what matters.
“So, my dear brothers and sisters, be strong and immovable.  Always work enthusiastically for the Lord, for you know that nothing you do for the Lord is useless.” (15.58)
Lord, help me to live knowing that I will die.  My time here is limited.  Help me to know also that I will rise.  Nothing I do for you is useless.  So help me live like.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment