Sunday, January 16, 2011

Day One: Luke 1-4

I'll go ahead and post a few things that stuck out to me in these four chapters.
When Gabriel is telling Zechariah what his son will be like, he says, among other things, "he will be great in the eyes of God." (1:15)  I wrote in my journal, "What else matters?"  
A lot of times I want to be great in the eyes of people around me.  I want them to appreciate me and think that I am great and tell me that I'm great.  But on my best days, I know that people's approval and applause are really fickle and fleeting.  And what I really want for myself is to be great in God's eyes.  That's what I want for my son and daughter - to be great in God's eyes.  What else matters?
When Simeon blesses Jesus in the temple, he says: "this child is destined to cause many in Israel to fall, but he will be a joy to many others." (2.34)  As Jesus begins to minister, he created division.  There are some who don't like him.  There are some who are offended by him.  There are some who don't understand why he does what he does.  But Jesus refuses to please everyone, he refuses to cave to the pressure to be what everyone else wants or expects him to be.  
He knew his father's pleasure, "You are my dearly loved Son, and you bring me great joy (3.22).  
He knew his mission, "I must preach the Good News of the Kingdom of God... because that is why I was sent (4.43). 
He lived out of the Father's love and in accordance with his mission.
Help me, Father, to so live - not for approval or applause - but to live for you and from you.  Set me free from the need to please everyone.  Let me be great in your eyes. Amen.

2 comments:

  1. I really like reading through the genealogy of Jesus because it helps me understand how the OT was the story that led to Jesus' coming. It's quite the encouragement to see that God kept his promise to his people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a unique part, but you're right, it's a great connection.

    I think I am also doubting that you are JJP, as there is no "haha" preceding and concluding this post!

    ReplyDelete