Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Day Seven: Acts 1-4

At the beginning of the book of Acts, the disciples have a burning question: “Lord, has the time come for you to free Israel and restore our kingdom?” (1.6) After all, here is the Messiah.  He has demonstrated his power and authority by rising from the dead.  Does this mean that the time of oppression for Israel is over?  Does this mean that the fullness of God’s kingdom will be ushered in?  Is this the end of sickness, slavery, and injustice?  Will you at this time restore the kingdom?
Jesus’ answer goes like this: “The Father alone has the authority to set those dates and times, and they are not for you to know.”  In other words, when God’s plan has come to fruition, he will bring the kingdom.  The “when” is not our responsibility.  Our responsibility, when it comes to the final restoration of all things, is to wait and hope.  
And while we do, Jesus says: “But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you.  And you will be my witnesses, telling people about me everywhere.” (1.8) 
Jesus basically changes the subject.  He says, “you want to know what I am going to do, but I have something that you will do.”  
“God when will you do something about the world’s problems?”
“You will be my witnesses.”
I think that this happens a lot.  We want God to intervene supernaturally, and one day he will.  But until then, God intervenes through us.  He intervenes by giving us the Holy Spirit and then calling us to be his witnesses, his mouth, his hands, his feet.  May we embody him well.
Lord, help me to wait and hope for your kingdom to come in its fullness.  And until then, help me to realize that you want to intervene in the world in me and through me.  Amen.

2 comments:

  1. something i really thought was really cool was how everything prophesied from the old testament comes true even down to all the little details like finding someone to replace judas
    it just reiterates for me how perfect God's plan was for everything :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for the comment, michelle. It is amazing to me how we make free choices and yet it is a part of God's plan.

    ReplyDelete