Friday, January 28, 2011

Day Ten: Acts 12-16

These chapters represent a major transition in the book of Acts.  Paul and Barnabas begin in the synagogues, preaching to the Jewish people who meet there.  But for the most part, their message is rejected because of religious teachers who continually incite the people against the missionaries.

And so Paul and Barnabas make a major shift: the gospel moves from the Jews to the Gentiles.  Nations and people groups outside of Israel, for the first time, are invited to stream into the people of God.  
Paul puts it this way: “It was necessary that we first preach the word of God to you Jews.  But since you have rejected it and judged yourself unworthy of eternal life, we will offer it to the Gentiles.” (13.46)
You see, God goes where he’s wanted.  If you don’t want him, someone else will.  The question is not whether or not the gospel will be triumphant among the nations.  The question is, will you participate?  Or will you keep putting it off and pushing God away?
If you do not respond to Christ, the opportunity to respond may be taken away from you.  It is arrogant and foolish to think that you will always have more time to respond.  You may not.  

Or put it positively: We who have the invitation of the gospel must respond immediately and completely.
As the writer of Hebrews puts it: today, if you hear his voice, do not harden your heart.
Lord, sometimes I don’t hear your voice that clearly.  But today, I hear your voice.  Let me not harden my heart. In your mercy, I respond.  Amen.

2 comments:

  1. As I was reading these chapters, the one thing that really stood out to me was in Acts 16 when Paul and Silas just had been "stripped and beaten with wooden rods" and "they were severely beaten, and then they were thrown into prison". A couple of sentences after, it says that Paul and Silas were praying and singing hymns to God, and the other prisoners were listening.

    When I read this, I thought, "did I miss something in between? Because I don't remember reading that God set them free from jail or healed their wounds. When I reread the passage, I realized how wrong my heart is for automatically assuming that people only praise God in return for what He can do for them. These passages keep showing me that God's grace is enough and our response should be praise, no matter our situation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah, what an amazing story. they didn't know that God was going to intervene, but they chose to worship anyway. a great pattern to follow!

    Thanks for commenting, Steffi!

    ReplyDelete