Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Day Two: Luke 5-8

One of the main things that struck me as I read these chapters is the way that the word “sinner” is used.  The Pharisees used it to draw lines, to exclude, to separate themselves from those they perceived less than them.  But everyone described as a sinner in these chapters is a person who is attracted to and embraced by Jesus.
Peter, upon experiencing the miraculous catch of fish, falls at Jesus’ feet and says, “Oh Lord, please leave me - I’m too much of a sinner to be around you”  (5.8).  Jesus responds by telling him not to be afraid and then tells him that he has great plans for him.
When Levi the tax collector (tax collectors were associated with prostitutes and extortion) invites Jesus to his house with his friends, the Pharisees complain, “Why do you eat and drink with such scum?” (5.30).  Jesus responds by saying that he has not come for those who think that they are righteous, but for those who know they are sinners and need to repent.”
Finally, when the “immoral woman” collapses at Jesus’ feet, washing them with her tears and perfume, wiping them with her hair, a Pharisee says, “If this man were a prophet, he would know what kind of a woman is touching him.  She’s a sinner!” (7.39).  Jesus responds that her many sins have been forgiven, and so she shows great love.
Two take-aways.  First, (as I once head Scot McKnight say), to the Pharisees, holiness was something fragile to be protected.  To Jesus, holiness was something powerful to be unleashed.  Their philosophy was, “if you are clean, you can be with us”.  Jesus’ philosophy was, “be with me, and you will become clean.”
Second, Jesus says, “a person who is forgiven little shows only a little love.”  My worshipful response of love shows my sense of being forgiven.  Have I not been forgiven much?  Therefore, I will love much. 
Lord, I come to you in the midst of much sin that has been forgiven.  Let me love you as one who has been forgiven so much.  Let me love you extravagantly, like the woman at your feet.  Amen.

2 comments:

  1. As I'm reading these chapters, I'm struck by how Jesus is so different from anyone else to ever live on earth. Not just in the miracles that he did, but in the way he spoke and taught, he was so different, especially in that time period. It makes me think how believing that he is God may be hard, but believing that he was only human seems so much harder.

    I'm also hit by how I think of Jesus as this calm, non-emotional, passive guy, but this man described in the gospel seems anything but. He's constantly moved by people's extraordinary faith, moved suddenly to compassion for the widow who lost her son...I find that a comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The one thing Jesus is not is passive.

    I was also struck by Jesus' compassion for parents who had lost children.

    Thanks for the comment!

    ReplyDelete