Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Day Seventeen: James 1-2

People always talk about how James is one of their favorite books of the Bible because it is so straightforward and practical.  I think this is true, though sometimes the things that James says are easier said than done.  Today in particular, what stuck out to me was the idea that every action, and before that every desire that we entertain and indulge, leads us in a particular direction.
James writes: “Temptation comes from our own desires, which entice us and drag us away. These desires give birth to sinful actions.  And when sin is allowed to grow, it gives birth to death.” (1.14-15)
I like the way that the NLT translates that phrase, “when sin is allowed to grow.”  The imagery that I get is of a garden where weeds begin to grow.  If the weeds are not uprooted, then it will not be too long before the weeds choke the life out of the healthy plants.  I asked myself, where am I allowing sin to grow?  Where are there weeds of laziness, lust, pride, entitlement that I need to uproot before they give birth to death?
As I continued to read, I noticed that James defined pure religion this way: “caring for orphans and widows in their distress and refusing to let the world corrupt you” (1.27).  So there is something that you are resisting and something you are embracing.  You embrace a life of love, full of good deeds.  You refuse to let the world corrupt you.  Both responses take intentionality.   
I felt like God was telling me, each day you must kill the weeds of sin that are growing in your heart and fan your faith into flame by doing good.  
Kill the weeds.  Fan the flame.  
Lord, I cry out for you to purify my faith.  So many times the weeds of my sin seem like a jungle and my heart seems so cold.  Help me to be persistent at resisting the world and embracing those who are in need.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment