Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Day Thirteen: Acts 25-28

One of the things that struck me repeatedly as I read the book of Acts (and Luke) was just how fickle people can be.  Public opinion turns so quickly.
The same people who welcome Jesus into Jerusalem with cries of “Hosanna!” are the ones crying “Crucify Him!” a few days later.
The same people who were ready to worship Paul and Barnabas and offer sacrifices to them in Lystra  are the ones who stone Paul and drag him out of town after a short time. (Acts 14)
The same people who are convinced that Paul is a murderer after seeing a poisonous snake attack him are the same people who decide that he must be a god.  (Acts 28)
The ruler Festus thought he was crazy: “Paul you are insane!” (26.24)
Keeping up with what people think about you is pretty exhausting, and it is pretty much outside of your control.  If you are primarily motivated by your reputation, then you will spend a lot of time, money and energy managing your image.  When you look at the world, you see that this is exactly what is being done.  People are spending all their time, money and energy trying to get other people to clap for them, to tell them that they are worthy and that they matter.
Not so for Paul.  He was motivated by something much more lasting and substantial than his image or reputation.  He was motivated by a passion for God.  His desire was to know God and to help others know him too.  While on trial, he says: “I pray to God that everyone here in this audience might become the same as I am.” (26.29)
May God answer his prayer for me.  I want to be like Paul.
Lord, set me free from my obsession with my image.  Help me to be more obsessed with you and making you known.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment