Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Day Twenty-Eight: Philippians 1-4

In Philippians 2.17, Paul writes, “I will rejoice even if I lose my life, pouring it out like a liquid offering to God, just like your faithful service is an offering to God.”
Servants often find themselves dry and empty.  Many times this is because they have given much and received little.  In some ways, this is expected.  The heart of a servant, after all, is not measured by how much he receives, but by how much he gives.  
But God’s design has never been to have two or three servants who constantly empty themselves while everyone else becomes bloated and full.  This has too often been the case.  The few have been exhausted and emptied, spread thin trying to fill the many.
As long as we allow this to continue, we are rebelling against God.  This is not how God has commanded his body to live together.  His intention is that all the members of the body are constantly pouring themselves out into each other, so that everyone serves, and no one is ever empty. 
But for this to happen, everyone must become a drink offering.
Every day you choose whether to keep life-giving water for yourself, or whether to pour it out for those who are empty.  
Are you a drink offering?
Lord, forgive me for keeping the gifts that you’ve given me to myself.  Help me to pour out my life today like a drink offering.

2 comments:

  1. I felt like one of the big themes in Philippians was contentment in Christ. Even though Paul was a prisoner, he was content with the things he was given by the church in Philippi. He was also content with either living or dying for Christ. I feel like he was able to serve so well because he was so content with his situation no matter where he was.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For sure, James. Some have actually said that the theme of Philippians is joy because of how often he tells them to rejoice. That means a lot more when it comes from a guy who is in prison, too!

    ReplyDelete