Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Day Twelve: Acts 21-24

As Paul is arrested and put on trial in these chapters, I noticed that he keeps on talking about how he has tried to live with a “clear conscience”.  In other words, he has tried to be a person of integrity.
I remember reading somewhere that a person with integrity is a person with nothing to be afraid of, and nothing to hide.  You aren’t afraid of being revealed as a hypocrite because of some secret sin.  You are living transparently, living in the light.  
Where does the motivation come from to live this way?  This is what Paul says:
“I have the same hope that these men have, that God will raise both the righteous and the unrighteous.  Because of this, I always try to maintain a clear conscience before God and all people.” (24.15-16)
Paul wanted to have a clear conscience because he knew that one day he would stand before God to give an account of what he did with what was entrusted to him.  So, in light of that future judgment, he lived in the present as one who has to give an account.
So he lived before the Lord first, then lived for the Lord second.  The order is critical. 
To live before the Lord means that we consider each action in terms of the question, “would I be ashamed if he returned to find me doing this?” or “would I be ashamed if he returned to find me avoiding this thing that I should do?” 
A clear conscience means not doing the things that we know break his heart, and doing the things that we know he has called us to do - regardless of what people think.  Because we don’t answer to them.
I want to live with a clear conscience - don’t you?  
Lord, help me to consider the fact that one day I will give an account to you of how I have spent my life.  Let me live each day with a clear conscience.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment